Anyone...
Graham Seed
2018-12-27 18:41:20 UTC
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!

Seasons Greetings to All.

Graham
Stewart Robert Hinsley
2018-12-27 22:00:24 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!
Better than me - all I managed was Shining Tor.
Post by Graham Seed
Seasons Greetings to All.
Graham
SRH
Peter Clinch
2018-12-28 08:16:10 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!
For some values of "still here"...

Children have flown the nest so I've actually started getting out more
rather than less :-)

Here's to a steadily improving 2019!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
NHS Tayside & Univ. of Dundee Ninewells Hospital & Med. School
net ***@dundee.ac.uk http://medphys.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
kevin
2018-12-29 14:17:16 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!
Seasons Greetings to All.
Graham
Have been keeping a eye on the group by doing a weekly reminder.

Actually finished the Wainwrights this year a few days short of 25 years.

Kevin from Cornwall
Dave
2018-12-30 18:14:21 UTC
Post by kevin
Actually finished the Wainwrights this year a few days short of 25 years.
Coincidentally I also completed the Wainwrights this year, though in my
case it took a little over 28 years. It's strange no longer having an
objective for climbing the fells, though it won't stop me...

Dave
Peter Clinch
2018-12-31 11:21:41 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by kevin
Actually finished the Wainwrights this year a few days short of 25 years.
Coincidentally I also completed the Wainwrights this year, though in my
case it took a little over 28 years. It's strange no longer having an
objective for climbing the fells, though it won't stop me...
I've managed marginally fewer than half the Munros in 30 years. I have
done some of the more interesting ones several times, and I only tick
them if I get a view from the top.
While I am notionally collecting them, the *real* objective has always
been to have a nice time!

Pete.
Graham Seed
2018-12-31 18:41:48 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by kevin
Actually finished the Wainwrights this year a few days short of 25 years.
Coincidentally I also completed the Wainwrights this year, though in
my case it took a little over 28 years. It's strange no longer having
an objective for climbing the fells, though it won't stop me...
I've managed marginally fewer than half the Munros in 30 years.  I have
done some of the more interesting ones several times, and I only tick
them if I get a view from the top.
While I am notionally collecting them, the *real* objective has always
been to have a nice time!
Pete.
A quick check on my tick list reveals I only collected 24. Too many
times I found myself drawn to the likes of The Cobbler.....
Nick Maclaren
2019-01-01 14:02:31 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
Post by Dave
Post by kevin
Actually finished the Wainwrights this year a few days short of 25 years.
Coincidentally I also completed the Wainwrights this year, though in
my case it took a little over 28 years. It's strange no longer having
an objective for climbing the fells, though it won't stop me...
I've managed marginally fewer than half the Munros in 30 years.  I have
done some of the more interesting ones several times, and I only tick
them if I get a view from the top.
While I am notionally collecting them, the *real* objective has always
been to have a nice time!
A quick check on my tick list reveals I only collected 24. Too many
times I found myself drawn to the likes of The Cobbler.....
As my primary interest in upland walking is for solitude, I generally
avoid such things, though I have climbed a few.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Bob Douglas
2019-01-05 13:50:32 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!
Seasons Greetings to All.
Graham
I tend to look in from time to time, but Christmas seems to be the only
occasion when anyone else does ;-)

Dodgy knees mean I'm largely restricted to flat(ter) walks nowadays, but
subject to terrain, I can still knock 13-15 miles off in a day out, so I'm
not complaining.

Funnily enough, though, I also managed to lead my kids and partners up over
Striding Edge in October ('accompany' would probably be a better description
than lead :-) )

I quite surprised myself, and though the number of times must now be well
into the teens, it doesn't pale.

(Suffered a bit the next day, though).

Season's Greetings to the diminishing few.
Graham Seed
2019-01-06 10:37:33 UTC
Post by Bob Douglas
Post by Graham Seed
...still here? Actually got onto Striding Edge this year!
Seasons Greetings to All.
Graham
I tend to look in from time to time, but Christmas seems to be the only
occasion when anyone else does  ;-)
Dodgy knees mean I'm largely restricted to flat(ter) walks nowadays, but
subject to terrain, I can still knock 13-15 miles off in a day out, so
I'm not complaining.
Funnily enough, though, I also managed to lead my kids and partners up
over Striding Edge in October ('accompany' would probably be a better
description than lead :-) )
I quite surprised myself, and though the number of times must now be
well into the teens, it doesn't pale.
(Suffered a bit the next day, though).
Season's Greetings to the diminishing few.
I can relate to the dodgy knees. Actually, back in 2000 (I think) when
urw did an 'expedition' to Snowdonia I hit a brick wall from a knee
point of view and crawled off Moel Siabod in agony. I only just got to
the pub! (some things are just too important). Anyway. an X ray at the
hospital revealed osteoarthritis and I thought, thats me stuffed.
However, I bought a couple of poles and never looked back, to the point
that I dumped the poles a few years after. Dunno what that was all about
- my knees still 'click' now, probably a really bad sign, but it seems
the remedy for dodgy knees is to go walking.

As for Striding Edge, Yes, I was up in similar circumstances and your
description echos mine. I was chuffed when, with the main exit off the
down climb blocked by a couple with two large petrified dogs, my lot
shot down a climb at the side which was fairly exposed without a murmur!
As long as my knees keep going I can see another trip over Crib Goch,
which my lad would love. Perhaps if we get a run of decent weather......
Bob Douglas
2019-01-07 09:50:12 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
I can relate to the dodgy knees.
I had an arthroscopy on the left many years ago, with a trim of the
cartilage. In 2012, descending in the Ötztal in Austria, the same knee blew
up to twice its normal size.

Had to give up the walking and go and celebrate my 60th in the Biergarten of
Salzburg instead (shame ;-) )

Subsequent X-ray and another arthroscopy revealed straight bone-on-bone,
with everything else worn away. Consultant happily stated he'd do me a
knee-replacement within the next 18 months if I got myself referred.

Whatever, all the debris was washed out, and here I am, approaching 70 more
quickly than I'd like, and still, rather to my surprise, able to do a good
few miles on the flat.

On a risk vs reward basis, that's enough for me to avoid any thought of
replacement as yet. (I'm not squeamish about it - all the informed info I
can get about knee replacement is that (unlike hips) you do it to avoid
pain, not to improve articulation). Whilst I can suffer a bit walking (and
particularly on steps, or "rock-hopping"), the current state is still
acceptable.

I think the other knee is heading in the same direction, though - that's the
one of mine that "clicks".

Whilst I think I'm doing OK for an old duffer, one of my long-term, regular
walking friends has just (November) completed the Annapurna circuit at the
age of 71!
Nick Maclaren
2019-01-08 10:51:53 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
However, I bought a couple of poles and never looked back, to the point
that I dumped the poles a few years after. Dunno what that was all about
- my knees still 'click' now, probably a really bad sign, but it seems
the remedy for dodgy knees is to go walking.
They're funny. I was in pain all my 20s, but it faded, as I learnt
to live with my restrictions. Cycling is good, too, though the risk
is falling into the hands of the UCI-following fanatics, especially
where the only plausible walking routes have a hard surface. Impact
is never good news!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
AJH
2019-02-03 23:31:18 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
As for Striding Edge, Yes, I was up in similar circumstances and your
description echos mine. I was chuffed when, with the main exit off the
down climb blocked by a couple with two large petrified dogs, my lot
shot down a climb at the side which was fairly exposed without a murmur!
As long as my knees keep going I can see another trip over Crib Goch,
which my lad would love. Perhaps if we get a run of decent weather......
Our Dalmation cross managed striding edge easilly about 4 years ago but
I was severely remonstrated with by a Yorkshireman who threatened to
report me for cruelty for taking him there, last year he made a direct
ascent of Tryfan from the A5.

Anyway if this newsgroup is not quite dead: Is there a way of getting
the whole UK 1:25k mapping onto an android phone, I have an annual
OSsubscription but it isn't like the memory map my brother has on his
Iphone?

I imagine there is a memory problem if it has to reside in phone memory
rather than SD card.

AJH
Graham Seed
2019-02-04 08:45:16 UTC
Post by AJH
Post by Graham Seed
[...]
Morning!
I'm a bit of a technophobe so always stuck with paper map/compass as the
only thing you ever needed on top of a mountain. However.... as an OS
employee I get a free subscription so I've started using the iphone as
my 'map'. I know what you mean about storage as I worked out that you
could only ever have a few complete Explorer tiles on the phone at any
one time if I wanted to use the mobile download option for paper copies
that I own. So, using the subscription, you can download your next
walking area and keep it offline? I've just done it for Kinder Scout and
its given me a 40mb download of approx 20km x 20km which is ample - I've
just done it on broadband but you can do it on 4G. The one drawback i
found was the battery on the iphone is fairly useless when it comes to
heavy outdoor useage, so I got a high capacity power bank for my
Christmas present and feel I'm fairly bombproof now when it comes to
walking with my iphone. At the age of 64 I finally embrace technology
with iphone map and OS locate app. (still have the paper map in the
rucksack.....)
Graham
AJH
2019-02-04 10:06:44 UTC
Post by Graham Seed
[...]
Thanks Graham

I too carry a paper map of a walking area but also have the samsung.

I was caught out on Friday as I ended up in a traffic jam in an area
where I hadn't downloaded maps and there was no mobile coverage. Memory
map would have meant I had it instantly available which is why I was
considering ways of getting whole of GB on the phone. Your figures
suggest it would fit on 32GB.

I carry a garmin when walking to record a GPX track.

The problem wouldn't have been so bad if my granddaughter, who was
driving, knew how to program her satnav and being a bit older than you I
couldn't fathom it. It meant making a 100 mile diversion rather than a 5
mile one.

AJH

Nick Maclaren
2019-02-04 10:00:13 UTC
Post by AJH
Anyway if this newsgroup is not quite dead: Is there a way of getting
the whole UK 1:25k mapping onto an android phone, I have an annual
OSsubscription but it isn't like the memory map my brother has on his
Iphone?
Yes. MemoryMap do it, and there are other companies.
Post by AJH
I imagine there is a memory problem if it has to reside in phone memory
rather than SD card.
The MemoryMap app is pretty cretinous and requires 64 GB of main memory
for that map, but I haven't checked whether it is possible to get it
to look at an SD card. Given Android's basis, I am flabberghasted
that the SD card can't be mounted into the main memory transparently,
and the problem solved that way. I am planning to go to open source
Android, and that's one thing to look at.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.