OT Walking Hat
TheChief
2016-07-10 19:14:43 UTC
-- Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!

I am in the market for a hat to replace an aging flat cap.  I was
considering a hat with a decent brim all round to provide shelter
from both sun and rain. However I am concerned that it will
become a problem in strong winds, either from a point of view of
blowing away or, if tethered, from the likelihood of removing
ones head IYSWIM.

Are these things totally impractical for walking or do they lend
themselves quite well?
If they are worth considering, any links from personal recommendation?
I am not so taken with the floppy style and prefer a more rigid brim.

Thanks

Phil

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Gordon H
2016-07-11 08:52:41 UTC
Post by TheChief
Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!
I am in the market for a hat to replace an aging flat cap. I was
considering a hat with a decent brim all round to provide shelter
from both sun and rain. However I am concerned that it will
become a problem in strong winds, either from a point of view of
blowing away or, if tethered, from the likelihood of removing
ones head IYSWIM.
Are these things totally impractical for walking or do they lend
themselves quite well?
If they are worth considering, any links from personal recommendation?
I am not so taken with the floppy style and prefer a more rigid brim.
Answered elsewhere...

Tilley hat.
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
Peter Clinch
2016-07-11 10:33:50 UTC
Post by Gordon H
Post by TheChief
Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!
I am in the market for a hat to replace an aging flat cap. I was
considering a hat with a decent brim all round to provide shelter
from both sun and rain. However I am concerned that it will
become a problem in strong winds, either from a point of view of
blowing away or, if tethered, from the likelihood of removing
ones head IYSWIM.
Are these things totally impractical for walking or do they lend
themselves quite well?
If they are worth considering, any links from personal recommendation?
I am not so taken with the floppy style and prefer a more rigid brim.
Answered elsewhere...
Tilley hat.
Or similar: I have an "Ultimate" that's a similar sort of thing, also in
Cotton Duck, and it does indeed keep off sun and rain very well. It's
done quite a few Epics over the course of the last 20 years and shows no
signs of needing replacement.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
NHS Tayside & Univ. of Dundee Ninewells Hospital & Med. School
net ***@dundee.ac.uk http://medphys.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
Bob Mannix
2016-07-12 10:50:13 UTC
Post by TheChief
--
Ok so I'm thinking that bird watchers do a bit of walking about
and might advise on the suitability of head gear!
Again, Tilley hat. One of my top 5 purchases ever