Bulls in fields
Simon Challands
2003-07-04 14:24:29 UTC
I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton Crag in
North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was forced, and not
for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This was because of that
sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a field that he really wishes
there wasn't a footpath across.
I've a nagging suspicion that that may be illegal (the bull, not modifying
your route!)
--
Simon Challands, creator of
The Acorn Elite Pages: http://elite.acornarcade.com/
Three Dimensional Encounters: http://www.3dfrontier.fsnet.co.uk/
Chris Street
2003-07-04 14:39:18 UTC
Post by Simon Challands
I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton Crag in
North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was forced, and not
for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This was because of that
sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a field that he really wishes
there wasn't a footpath across.
I've a nagging suspicion that that may be illegal (the bull, not modifying
your route!)
Bulls of any recognised dairy breed, Frisiain, Holstein et al are
illegal in a field to which which the public has access if they are over
ten months old. All other bulls over this age must be kept with cows or
heifers. If it's a lone full size bull - take a photo and complain to
the HSE.

Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
Malcolm
2003-07-04 15:43:38 UTC
Post by Chris Street
Post by Simon Challands
I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton
Crag in North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was
forced, and not for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This
was because of that sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a
field that he really wishes there wasn't a footpath across.
I've a nagging suspicion that that may be illegal (the bull, not modifying
your route!)
Bulls of any recognised dairy breed, Frisiain, Holstein et al are
illegal in a field to which which the public has access if they are
over ten months old. All other bulls over this age must be kept with
cows or heifers. If it's a lone full size bull - take a photo and
complain to the HSE.
Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
But think how much your relatives could sue the farmer for......:-)
Malcolm
Malcolm
2003-07-04 15:46:50 UTC
Post by Chris Street
Bulls of any recognised dairy breed, Frisiain, Holstein et al are
illegal in a field to which which the public has access if they are over
ten months old. All other bulls over this age must be kept with cows or
heifers. If it's a lone full size bull - take a photo and complain to
the HSE.
Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
Now *that's* interesting! I may take this further (we're talking about 3
large black bulls, with no cows). Thanks.
And while I'm at it, may I heartily recommend Warton Crag? It's not too
strenuous a climb, but at the top you find beautiful thick woodland, and a
fabulous view across Morecambe Bay to the fells of the Lakes.
If you want chapter and verse from the Health and Safety Executive on
what is and what is not legal and what is also recommended as good
practice, such as signs on gates which you didn't mention so perhaps
were not there, then go to:

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais17.pdf

to download their Information Sheet on the subject.
Malcolm
Hywel & Ros
2003-07-12 14:50:47 UTC
snipped ...
Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
Now *that's* interesting! I may take this further (we're talking about 3
large black bulls, with no cows). Thanks.
I'd be very suprised if there are 3 bulls in a field together. Bull calves,
or bullocks maybe, but not adult bulls. Without wanting to be patronising,
are you sure they were bulls and do you appreciate the difference ?

Large bullocks will run towards you if you cross their field, but won't (in
my experience) charge home. They are just being curious and playfull.
Obviously there is potential for trouble, but if you keep your nerve and
turn and shout "shoo" or similar they stop. Although if it's a large field
they tend to get closer each time you say "shoo". If you run you will get
chased.

As others have said, dairy bulls are nasty regardless and shouldn't legally
be in a field with a footpath, and ditto any bull on his own. Bulls with
their cows are more concerned with the job in hand, but still worth giving a
wide berth and obviously you don't want to be between the bull and his cows.

"They" say that incidents are usually associated with cattle chasing dogs
and then trampling the owners attempting to save the dog (who should be able
to run away if let go)

regards

Hywel
Malcolm
2003-07-12 16:12:35 UTC
Post by Hywel & Ros
snipped ...
Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
Now *that's* interesting! I may take this further (we're talking about 3
large black bulls, with no cows). Thanks.
I'd be very suprised if there are 3 bulls in a field together. Bull calves,
or bullocks maybe, but not adult bulls. Without wanting to be patronising,
are you sure they were bulls and do you appreciate the difference ?
Hmm, I don't think you should even attempt to be patronising. It is
entirely usual for a farmer with more than one bull to keep them all
together in the same field (not surprisingly often called the bull park
in this part of the world) outside the time when they are actually in
use. I could show you a dozen examples within a few miles of where I
live with anything from two to half a dozen bulls living happily
together.
Malcolm
Gordon
2003-07-12 21:17:34 UTC
Post by Malcolm
I could show you a dozen examples within a few miles of where I
live with anything from two to half a dozen bulls living happily
together.
Well, of course there isn't the same stigma attached to it these days...
Gordon
Malcolm
Malcolm
Gordon
2003-07-13 10:07:50 UTC
It is also far from unknown for them to put rings in the nose of a cow
or two, just to scare the punters!
Seen that too in the Dales. The thing was staring at us, and held us up
for a few minutes until my companion said "It's got tits"!
Gordon
Five Cats
2003-07-13 16:34:43 UTC
Post by Gordon
It is also far from unknown for them to put rings in the nose of a cow
or two, just to scare the punters!
Seen that too in the Dales. The thing was staring at us, and held us up
for a few minutes until my companion said "It's got tits"!
M***** again? ;-)

But seriously, cows with calves can be *very* dangerous especially if
there is a dog about.
Five Cats
Gordon
2003-07-14 08:26:36 UTC
Post by Five Cats
Post by Gordon
It is also far from unknown for them to put rings in the nose of a cow
or two, just to scare the punters!
Seen that too in the Dales. The thing was staring at us, and held us up
for a few minutes until my companion said "It's got tits"!
M***** again? ;-)
No! She was born and raised in a small Derbyshire village, and
learned all the essentials. ;-
Post by Five Cats
But seriously, cows with calves can be *very* dangerous especially if
there is a dog about.
We always kept well clear of cattle when walking with the dog, although
we didn't really walk her on farm land.
Gordon
Adam Lea
2017-03-12 10:24:26 UTC
Post by Five Cats
Post by Gordon
It is also far from unknown for them to put rings in the nose of a cow
or two, just to scare the punters!
Seen that too in the Dales. The thing was staring at us, and held us up
for a few minutes until my companion said "It's got tits"!
M***** again? ;-)
But seriously, cows with calves can be *very* dangerous especially if
there is a dog about.
I had a less than pleasant encounter with a herd of cows on a guided
walk. We were crossing a field and there were about 20 cows in the
corner of the field. Sods law dictated that this was the corner where
the footpath led to exit the field. Initially the cows just looked at
us, but then became increasingly agitated. They had calves, and one of
the group had a dog, so I'm guessing that set them off charging towards
us. Half of us ran back the way we had come, half of us headed in a
perpendicular direction (thankfully downhill), the cows did likewise. We
just got to a gate in time and into the next field before the cows
reached the gate and could go not further. They were making a right
noise. After someone managed to contact the group leader and found out
where everyone else was, I worked out where we were on my OS map, where
the rest of the group were, and led us off-piste through a woodland
alongside a stream which brought us onto a country lane where the rest
of the group were.

Phil Cook
2003-07-14 13:50:58 UTC
By the way, a friend of mine from a farming background tells me tha bulls
stand side-on if they want to threaten you. The message being "look at how
big I am and you don't want to mess with me" which of course you don't.
I was wondering when somebody was going to offer this nugget of information. I
once had reason to remember and act upon it when walking the Saxon Shore Way.
Somewhere in the North Kent Marshes I came across a Charolais bull with his
hareem. They were in the corner of the field where the stile over the fence was,
when the bull wandered to the edge of the herd and purposefully stood looking at
me side on. I did a quick check of the map and hopped over a nearby gate to take
an alternative route.
Five Cats
2003-07-15 07:44:01 UTC
Post by Malcolm
entirely usual for a farmer with more than one bull to keep them all
together in the same field (not surprisingly often called the bull park
in this part of the world) outside the time when they are actually in
use. I could show you a dozen examples within a few miles of where I
live with anything from two to half a dozen bulls living happily
together.
Admitedly I'm more-or-less a city-boy but I've never seen more than one bull
kept together - other than dairy bulls chained up, four to a roundabout. But
then I've never seen a farm which actually raises bulls rather than keeping
one or two earning their living.
Yet you were setting yourself up as an expert by offering advice and
even concerned you might be seen to be patronising!
Would they be youngish ones before they're
sold off to be put to work, rather than proper grown-up ones - ring in the
nose and all ?
No, these are bulls kept on beef-rearing farms. Proper grown-up ones,
but rarely with rings in their noses.
At present if they are destined for the table they have to be
slaughtered by 30 months. I suspect they are somewhat adolescent at
that age.

<snip>
Five Cats
Hywel & Ros
2003-07-15 19:21:32 UTC
debate on bulls kept together....
No, these are bulls kept on beef-rearing farms. Proper grown-up ones,
but rarely with rings in their noses.
By the way, a friend of mine from a farming background tells me tha bulls
stand side-on if they want to threaten you. The message being "look at
how
big I am and you don't want to mess with me" which of course you don't.
Fine. You just carry on with your present state of knowledge of bulls
and farming and I hope you don't get into trouble :-)
More importantly, don't offer advice based on your present state of
knowledge.....
I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge. The point I was alluding to is
that many times I've been told a field has lots of bulls in it, when it's
been bullocks (so to speak)
Or cows even.

Is it a big farm to need lots of bulls then ?

Is the side-on thing rubbish then ?
(I did state this as hearsay albeit from a country boy)

Cheers

Hywel
Malcolm
2003-07-15 20:43:45 UTC
Post by Hywel & Ros
debate on bulls kept together....
No, these are bulls kept on beef-rearing farms. Proper grown-up ones,
but rarely with rings in their noses.
By the way, a friend of mine from a farming background tells me tha bulls
stand side-on if they want to threaten you. The message being "look at
how
big I am and you don't want to mess with me" which of course you don't.
Fine. You just carry on with your present state of knowledge of bulls
and farming and I hope you don't get into trouble :-)
More importantly, don't offer advice based on your present state of
knowledge.....
I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge. The point I was alluding to is
that many times I've been told a field has lots of bulls in it, when it's
been bullocks (so to speak)
Or cows even.
Oh I agree, that's a very common occurrence. What I wanted to avoid was
people believing that if there was more than one "cow" in a field, say
three or four, then they couldn't be bulls.
Post by Hywel & Ros
Is it a big farm to need lots of bulls then ?
Not necessarily, but if a good bull can service up to 50 cows, and
depending whether all your bulls are adult, you looking at farms with a
couple of hundred or so beef cows having, say, five or six bulls.
Post by Hywel & Ros
Is the side-on thing rubbish then ?
(I did state this as hearsay albeit from a country boy)
I think they're are probably even more dangerous when they face you,
lower their horns and start pawing the ground!
Malcolm
RJ Webb
2003-07-15 22:29:58 UTC
Being a Hereford it probably wanted its head scratched behind its ears
rather than "to have a go". That's what I've done regularly to bulls of
this often very friendly breed :-)
Still dont trust them.. Best if your Hereford has horns, the polling
breeding introduced some agression. Also some of those friendly
herefords may have been spoiled by idiots like my old man, who had a
nasty habit of inflicting pet bulls on the world. I was always worried
that they might just want to play!

We used to have one who would chase folk from a long distance for that
scratch behind the ear - they do love that. Glad to see more
Herefords back in circulation.

Richard Webb
Malcolm
2003-07-16 06:23:51 UTC
Post by RJ Webb
Being a Hereford it probably wanted its head scratched behind its ears
rather than "to have a go". That's what I've done regularly to bulls of
this often very friendly breed :-)
Still dont trust them.. Best if your Hereford has horns, the polling
breeding introduced some agression. Also some of those friendly
herefords may have been spoiled by idiots like my old man, who had a
nasty habit of inflicting pet bulls on the world. I was always worried
that they might just want to play!
We used to have one who would chase folk from a long distance for that
scratch behind the ear - they do love that. Glad to see more
Herefords back in circulation.
One I knew years ago would tolerate children riding on its back!

Don't do this at home, children :-)
Malcolm
RJ Webb
2003-07-16 17:51:34 UTC
Post by Malcolm
One I knew years ago would tolerate children riding on its back!
Don't do this at home, children :-)
No, go outside and do it!

Sounds like a Hereford.

Richard Webb
Malcolm
2003-07-16 19:06:23 UTC
Post by RJ Webb
Post by Malcolm
One I knew years ago would tolerate children riding on its back!
Don't do this at home, children :-)
No, go outside and do it!
Sounds like a Hereford.
That's what I said.
Malcolm
Five Cats
2003-07-12 16:52:09 UTC
Post by Hywel & Ros
snipped ...
Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....
Now *that's* interesting! I may take this further (we're talking about 3
large black bulls, with no cows). Thanks.
I'd be very suprised if there are 3 bulls in a field together. Bull calves,
or bullocks maybe, but not adult bulls. Without wanting to be patronising,
are you sure they were bulls and do you appreciate the difference ?
The difference is blindingly obvious once one has seen a mature bull.
The phrase 'bullneck' gets a whole new dimension.
Post by Hywel & Ros
Large bullocks will run towards you if you cross their field, but won't (in
my experience) charge home. They are just being curious and playfull.
Obviously there is potential for trouble, but if you keep your nerve and
turn and shout "shoo" or similar they stop. Although if it's a large field
they tend to get closer each time you say "shoo". If you run you will get
chased.
I reckon they associate humans with the feed bucket...
Post by Hywel & Ros
As others have said, dairy bulls are nasty regardless and shouldn't legally
be in a field with a footpath, and ditto any bull on his own. Bulls with
their cows are more concerned with the job in hand, but still worth giving a
wide berth and obviously you don't want to be between the bull and his cows.
The ones I've seen have been most concerned with feeding...
Post by Hywel & Ros
"They" say that incidents are usually associated with cattle chasing dogs
and then trampling the owners attempting to save the dog (who should be able
to run away if let go)
Incidents are also associated with suckler cows with calves - they
become very protective, and in the sorts of places we go walking (e.g.
uplands) are the kind of animal you are most likely to meet. Give them
a wide, wide berth.
Five Cats
Paul Saunders
2003-07-12 21:12:20 UTC
Post by Five Cats
Incidents are also associated with suckler cows with calves - they
become very protective, and in the sorts of places we go walking (e.g.
uplands) are the kind of animal you are most likely to meet. Give them
a wide, wide berth.
I was once escorted through a farm by a big, nasty looking black cow with
long horns, walking just a few yards away from me, snorting and stamping
it's feet all the way. There was a calf nearby. I just stuck to the path,
kept looking straight ahead and ignored it as best I could. It was at the
end of a very long walk and I was far too knackered to consider a detour.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
Irish Murdoch
2003-08-06 16:15:44 UTC
Post by Hywel & Ros
I'd be very suprised if there are 3 bulls in a field together. Bull calves,
or bullocks maybe, but not adult bulls. Without wanting to be patronising,
are you sure they were bulls and do you appreciate the difference ?
Prepare to be surprised. Big willies. No udders. Bulls. Three of them. Not
bullocks (though six bollocks in total). One field.

Best,

Irish
Paul Simonite
2003-08-07 21:59:58 UTC
Post by Irish Murdoch
No udders. Bulls.
Hate to be pedantic but bulls *DO* have udders. They have the four tits
but they never develop into more than small nipples. Can be confusing
when trying to determine the sex of a very young calf.

Two or more bulls in the same field wil intially fight for dominance but
when the pecking order is properly sorted out they co-exist - after a
fashion.
--
Cheers,
Compo
Malcolm
2003-08-08 07:30:34 UTC
Post by Paul Simonite
Post by Irish Murdoch
No udders. Bulls.
Hate to be pedantic but bulls *DO* have udders. They have the four tits
but they never develop into more than small nipples. Can be confusing
when trying to determine the sex of a very young calf.
Two or more bulls in the same field wil intially fight for dominance but
when the pecking order is properly sorted out they co-exist - after a
fashion.
Hate to be pedantic (!), but two or more bulls in the same field *may*
initially fight for dominance. When they do, it can be quite
spectacular, but more usually they barely take any notice of each other
up and then get on with the important business of eating. Their
behaviour may also vary with the breed.
Malcolm
Paul Simonite
2003-08-11 20:27:20 UTC
For real violence - stick some tups that are strangers together at
this time of year. Results can often be fatal.
Richard Webb
Saw this in Orkney. My neighbour put a Suffolk tup and a Shetland tup
together. The tiny Shetland badly injured the huge Suffolk - it also
managed to break the shepherd's leg!
--
Cheers,
Compo
s***@end.of.message
2003-08-11 21:25:26 UTC
You can get helmets for tups which act the opposite to blinkers on
horses; ie They stop them seeing straight ahead and getting a long
run up for the charge and collision.

Robert
Compo
Stuart
2003-07-04 19:57:25 UTC
Is anybody else put off by bulls, or do
you all just stride blithely across their fields with ne'er a second
thought
of being gored? What are the chances of a bull even caring that you're in
its
fields?
Irish
speaking with some experiance of livestock.........95% of the time the bull
couldn't care less if you were in the same field, in fact if you went and
booted it up the backside it probably still couldn't care less , BUT and a
very big BUT, bulls are very unpredictable (with or without the company of
cows) if you find yourself in the same field as a bull NEVER take your eye
off it, and ALWAYS have an escape route planned, ie stay next to a fence you
can jump over.
peter hall
2003-07-04 20:37:47 UTC
Hi I've been a lurker for some time now and feel for the first time that I
may have something to add to the thread.
Having worked with cattle for over 30 years I must agree with previous
writers that Bulls must at all times be treated with caution. They can turn
remarkably, almost on a sixpence (2.5p for you young 'uns) and can easily
out-run a human. However I have never been hurt or even had a close shave
with a Bull (possibly because of my caution) whereas I have suffered broken
ribs and more bruises than I could count from cows and more again from young
heifers. To heifers play is fun, and a friendly crowd of heifers gently
knocking you about can be the most painful of all. Carry a stick and don't
be afraid to use it if challenged, the brief pain you inflict on the animal
is nothing to what they are capable of doing to you, and they will forget it
in no time.

Peter
can jump over.
Pief
2003-07-04 21:14:12 UTC
ayeMeHarties: |[ peter hall's ]| ahoy...
Post by peter hall
[...]
You mean I can wack'em with a stick?
Now I know what to do, I thought that would just p,ss them off more :)
'pief:]t
RJ Webb
2003-07-15 22:29:58 UTC
Post by peter hall
[...]
No ... Its good advice. Handled cattle soon learn about sticks and
respect them. No 2 item in my anti bull armoury when I used to work
with them. (1 was of course a bucket of oats). Yet to have had trouble
with heifers, but they are intimidating if they get you running.

Richard Webb
Martin Richardson
2003-07-04 21:10:47 UTC
Post by peter hall
Hi I've been a lurker for some time now and feel for the first time that I
may have something to add to the thread.
Welcome - and thanks for the info.
--
Martin Richardson

216/284 Munros (32/34 'Furths')
27/89 Donalds 372/1552 Marilyns 439/439 Nuttalls
Robin shillito
2003-07-03 19:26:56 UTC
I've just got back from one of my favourite walking places: Warton Crag in
North Lancashire. At one point of the walk, however, I was forced, and not
for the first time, to modify my route slightly. This was because of that
sneaky old farmer's trick: putting bulls in a field that he really wishes
there wasn't a footpath across.
Now, while I am reasonably sure that many farmers do do this to discourage
people from walking on their land, I find myself wondering whether I
really
ought to have modified my route. Have I just bought into the sort of
"comedy
stereotype" of bulls' behaviour--the view that sees them as ready and
willing
to charge at everything that moves? Is anybody else put off by bulls, or
do
you all just stride blithely across their fields with ne'er a second
thought
of being gored? What are the chances of a bull even caring that you're in
its
fields?
Irish
Hi everyone hope this helps, but in a nutshell treat your bull with
respect, never get between him and his hareem, keep the dog on a lead. If
any cattle show signs of agression towards you and your dog let the dog off
the lead then the cattle will concentrate their interest in the dog (giving
you chance to make way to safety) a dog will proberbly be able to escape
quicker than a human being.

However the above are mesures for emergency use only, and a farmer will not
look lightly on a loose dog among his stock, and can legaly shoot the dog.

Agriculture Information Sheet No 17

HSE information sheet

Introduction

This information sheet describes the major potential hazards - to workers or
to members of the public - associated with keeping cattle, including bulls,
in fields with public access. It suggests reasonably practicable ways of
controlling those hazards. It does not provide advice on housing bulls or
other cattle, nor on safe handling.

Throughout this sheet, 'fields with public access' means fields with public
rights of way, or fields into which the occupier or owner of the land has
invited the public. It does not include fields which the public access
without permission, or fields with no public right of way. 'Bulls' means
uncastrated bovine animals of 10 months or over.

Background

In the five years from April 1990 to March 1995, 14 major incidents
involving cattle and members of the public were investigated by HSE. Many of
these incidents were in fields; five resulted in death. There were many
other incidents not reported to nor investigated by HSE.

All large animals are potentially dangerous. Most farmers try to ensure that
the cattle they own or breed from are of a normally quiet temperament.
However, when under stress (eg because of the weather, illness, unusual
disturbance) or when maternal instincts are aroused, even normally placid
cattle can become aggressive. Even gentle knocks from cattle can result in
people being injured. All breeds should be treated with respect.

The law

Section 59 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and Section 44 of the
Countryside (Scotland) Act 1967 ban bulls of recognised dairy breeds
(Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey,
Jersey and Kerry) in all circumstances from being at large in fields crossed
by public rights of way. Bulls of all other breeds are also banned from such
fields unless accompanied by cows or heifers, but there are no specific
prohibitions on other cattle. 'Fields' in this legislation does not include
areas such as open fell or moorland.
Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires employers
and the self-employed to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that
they do not put other people, for instance members of the public, at risk by
their work activities. Keeping bulls or other cattle in fields is an
activity to which this section applies.
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 require that
employers and the self-employed assess the risks from their work activities
to which employees or others are exposed. This assessment should identify
the measures employers need to take to comply with health and safety
legislation.
Plan and take action

Before you put any cattle, including bulls, in fields with public access:

consider carefully whether the cattle should be kept in that field. Take
into account the amount and type of public access (eg large groups of
walkers with dogs every day, groups of children, or infrequent lone
walkers). If possible use fields without public rights of way or other
permitted access when cattle are calving or during periods of greater public
use, eg school holidays;
assess whether animals in the herd are generally placid and well-behaved;
assess whether young calves kept with the herd will affect the behaviour of
older cattle - avoid down-calving cattle in fields with public access
wherever possible;
consider whether it is reasonably practicable temporarily to fence public
rights of way so that the cattle cannot access them or whether a permissive
alternative route can be provided. Take care not to obstruct public rights
of way, and bear in mind that even if you do decide to provide a temporary
alternative route the public will still be entitled to use the right of way.
Remember, never keep recognised dairy bulls in a field crossed by a public
right of way - it is against the law - and never keep any animal known or
suspected to be aggressive in any field with public access. Consider whether
you can make safe alternative arrangements or whether you should dispose of
aggressive animals.

When you have decided that you will put cattle in a field with public
access, your precautions could include the following:

checking that fences, gates, stiles etc are safe and fit for their purpose;
checking that paths are clearly marked so that users do not enter fields
without public access;
making arrangements for checking both the cattle (for illness or other
possible causes of aggression) and the fences etc surrounding the field
regularly - at least once each day;
planning how to safely move individual cattle, the whole herd, or part of
it, from field to field. Remember that inadequately controlled cattle on
roads can cause public concern, damage or injury;
ensuring that cattle handling facilities are available, and that you can
safely move animals to them;
if bulls are on hire, lease, or loan, or if other cattle are new to the
farm, checking that they are suitable to keep in a field with public access
before putting them in such a field. A few days in another field or in a
stock building, where they can be closely and regularly observed, should
suffice.
If you keep entire male cattle aged five months or over for bull beef, your
precautions could include the following:

never keeping them in fields with public rights of way or other permitted
public access;
in other fields making sure that groups of animals older than 10 months are
securely enclosed by stock-proof hedging or fencing at least 1.3 metres
high, strong enough to retain the animals and capable of restricting access
to young children. Erecting an electric fence 0.5 metres inside the external
perimeter hedge or fence will provide a greater degree of security;
fitting gates or other means of closure at points of entry into fields
containing the cattle. Gates etc should be at least of equal height and
strength as the perimeter fencing, restrict the access of young children and
be fitted with a securing device which will prevent its release by children
and animals. They should also be kept locked.
Signs

Even though you should have made sure that no aggressive, or potentially
aggressive, animal is kept in a field with public access, it is good
practice to display signs informing the public when a bull is in the field:

consider putting a sign at any gate, stile or other access point to a field
in which a bull is kept, and at points of public access to all paths onto
open areas such as fell or moorland if there is a bull at large there;
safety signs should conform to British Standard 5378, or European
equivalents, and where appropriate the Health and Safety (Safety Signs and
Signals) Regulations 1996;
a suitable sign would be triangular with a yellow background and a black
band around the outside. A bull should be shown (black on yellow) on the
sign, with supplementary text (also black on yellow) such as "bull in field"
if desired. Supplementary text should not suggest that the bull is
aggressive, threatening or dangerous;
signs should not be displayed, or should be securely covered, when there is
no bull in the field. Misleading signs which deter the public from using the
public right of way are illegal and should never be used.
Further advice

Further advice and information is available from local offices of the Health
and Safety Executive.

HSE priced and free publications are available by mail order from:

HSE Books, PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 6FS Tel: 01787 881165; Fax:
01787 313995.

HSE priced publications are available from good booksellers.

For other enquiries ring HSE's Infoline, Tel: 0541 545500 or write to HSE's
Information Centre, Broad Lane, Sheffield S3 7HQ.

Rob

---
Martin Richardson
2003-07-04 21:08:50 UTC
Is anybody else put off by bulls, or do
you all just stride blithely across their fields with ne'er a second thought
of being gored? What are the chances of a bull even caring that you're in its
fields?
Many decades ago when I was an impoverished (I avoided the word poor,
because it could have been misinterpreted as referring to my ability as
a...) student, I had a summer job working as a chain man for the Essex
River Authority. Anyway, one day a surveyor and I we were surveying the
line of a small stream through a farm when I stuck the pole in a wasps
nest. Swarms of wasps engulfed us so we legged it into the next field
where, unbeknownst to us there was bull. This bull then chased the
surveyor who escaped by jumping over a fence right into the
aforementioned stream.
He was not happy with me after the event and made it very clear -
indeed, he refused to work with me again.

Ian Dainty
2003-07-04 22:20:33 UTC
Post by Martin Richardson
Many decades ago when I was an impoverished (I avoided the word poor,
because it could have been misinterpreted as referring to my ability as
a...) student, I had a summer job working as a chain man for the Essex
River Authority. Anyway, one day a surveyor and I we were surveying the
line of a small stream through a farm when I stuck the pole in a wasps
nest. Swarms of wasps engulfed us so we legged it into the next field
where, unbeknownst to us there was bull. This bull then chased the
surveyor who escaped by jumping over a fence right into the
aforementioned stream.
He was not happy with me after the event and made it very clear -
indeed, he refused to work with me again.
No wonder you've a fondness for wading unnecessarily through water.

I.
Irish Murdoch
2003-07-07 08:24:47 UTC
I have never met such a malignant bunch of paranoid big girls blouses
as I have in this group. Hypocrisy is too mild a word for what gets
practiced 'ere. If you are not a regular and dare to post....boy.
Being ignored is the least after that its a smear. Mind you its only
from a bunch of pisspots. As for off-topics (the latest is SPAM, what
has spam got to do with this group!?), its not so long ago students
were being ripped into for just that, and don't try the inappropriate
badly designed question excuse here(!). But thats OK because nearlly
all of the contributers belong to the ruling or should I say
predominant clique. So thats ok. The amount of time you lot spend on
this ng stroking each others vanity (polite for arse lickin) its a
wonder you manage to get out to the shops let alone to the hills. I
bet the only mountain most of you lot have scaled is Mons Pubis and
that at a struggle!
Its about time all of you pulled your head out of your fucking arse
and had a good look round. The only thing you lot are aqainted with is
the back of your own fucking teeth.
Thanks for that Vince, very helpful. A very interesting perspective on how to
deal with bulls in fields.

Best Wishes,

Irish