Car parking charge at Edale?
Gordon
2010-06-28 13:11:09 UTC
Can anyone tell me if there's a charge for the car park at grid 124853?

Ta!
Nigel Cliffe
2010-06-28 14:42:14 UTC
Post by Gordon
Can anyone tell me if there's a charge for the car park at grid 124853?
I'm finding Streetmap is hopeless with grid refs (or I can't work it!).
However:

Carpark in Edale Village near the railway station has a charge. High Peak
Borough website says £5/day.
Carpark 1.3km WSW on minor road which leads to Upper Booth is free.

I was in the area about a week ago.

- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Richard Smith
2010-06-28 15:43:35 UTC
Post by Nigel Cliffe
Post by Gordon
Can anyone tell me if there's a charge for the car park at grid 124853?
I'm finding Streetmap is hopeless with grid refs (or I can't work it!).
It works fine so long as you remember to include the letters too. So
if you search for SK124853 you'll find Edale.

Richard
Chris Gilbert
2010-06-28 14:54:19 UTC
As Nigel says; Yes.

Very popular car park. You're wise to get there early if that's
really where you want to be.

Chris
Gordon
10 ish, wednesday? Would it be OK then?
Ted
2010-06-28 16:31:57 UTC
On 28/06/2010 15:54, Chris Gilbert wrote:> As Nigel says; Yes.
Post by Chris Gilbert
Very popular car park. You're wise to get there early if that's
really where you want to be.
Chris
10 ish, wednesday? Would it be OK then?
Yes, you should be OK, it is very large and has toilets.

But as has been mentioned there is free parking past the railway
bridge on the single track road to Upper Booth is free, and there are
paths from there to Edale, Chapel Gate, Jacobs Ladder etc. Must be
space for 30 cars, a few weeks I got there c. 11:00 on a Tuesday and
there was plenty of space.

Ted
Chris Gilbert
2010-06-28 16:39:24 UTC
Post by Ted
But as has been mentioned there is free parking past the railway
bridge on the single track road to Upper Booth is free, and there are
paths from there to Edale, Chapel Gate, Jacobs Ladder etc. Must be
space for 30 cars, a few weeks I got there c. 11:00 on a Tuesday and
there was plenty of space.
I agree with Ted. I don't park in Edale these days. I use the parking
space at Upper Booth. It's still full on the weekends, mind.

Chris
Gordon
2010-06-30 16:55:03 UTC
Post by Chris Gilbert
Post by Ted
But as has been mentioned there is free parking past the railway
bridge on the single track road to Upper Booth is free, and there are
paths from there to Edale, Chapel Gate, Jacobs Ladder etc. Must be
space for 30 cars, a few weeks I got there c. 11:00 on a Tuesday and
there was plenty of space.
I agree with Ted. I don't park in Edale these days. I use the parking
space at Upper Booth. It's still full on the weekends, mind.
Chris
Parked today at the Parish Council car park next to the railway station.
Only one other car in it, should have been a charge of £4, but no attendant,
no honesty box.
They obviously only man it at weekends and bank holidays....
Chris Gilbert
2010-06-30 21:06:43 UTC
Post by Gordon
Parked today at the Parish Council car park next to the railway station.
Only one other car in it
Well, I did say you wouldn't be alone :-D

But did you have a good walk ?
Gordon
2010-07-01 15:31:40 UTC
j***@hotmail.com
2019-02-25 18:27:10 UTC
The land next to the railway station is private land. There is no honesty box because you are parking illegally. The Parish Council runs a car park on this land for 28 days a year. So it is only open on sunny weekends and bank holidays when the land is not in use by the railway.

Do not park here. If the railway company is using the area they will move the vehicle often not very carefully
Chris Gilbert
2010-06-28 16:38:02 UTC
Post by Gordon
10 ish, wednesday? Would it be OK then?
Outside the holidays, yes, probably but it will be by no
means empty ! :-D
Simon Challands
2010-06-28 17:07:53 UTC
Post by Chris Gilbert
Post by Gordon
10 ish, wednesday? Would it be OK then?
Outside the holidays, yes, probably but it will be by no
means empty ! :-D
Was pretty empty on Sunday, but that could be because I'd got the
football times muddled up (doesn't sound like I missed anything). The
Pay and Display machines have gone to be replaced by someone sitting
in a booth but they still won't accept notes (cite some probably
non-existant "security" issues), which is rather ludicrous for a £5
charge. If you are going to use that one instead of the free one then
I think it's free after 6, so you can get away without an all day fee
if you start late enough. There's enough daylight at this time of year
to get a good walk starting at 4ish, with the additional plus that
it's usually much quieter by then.
--
Simon Challands