Walking from Exmouth to Weymouth in 3 days - too much?
Kieran Scott
2012-03-01 09:54:47 UTC
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).

Current plans are as follows (all following the South West Coast
Path):
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.

Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP? Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?

Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.

If that seems a bit much, any suggestions of how we can break it up
using public transport would be appreciated (we will be getting train
into Exmouth and out of Weymouth, so if we don't manage to walk it we
will need the bus/taxi).

Kind regards,

Kieran
Richard Smith
2012-03-01 12:23:04 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).
Current plans are as follows (all following the South West Coast
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.
Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP?  Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?
Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.
That seems quite sensible to me. A crude measurement on a map gives
each leg as a bit under 20 miles, with the middle one being shortest
(I may have underestimated the length slightly, but not by very
much). While there are a fair few small hills, few are more than 100m
ascent and none as big as 200m.
Richard Smith
2012-03-01 12:27:18 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).
Current plans are as follows (all following the South West Coast
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.
Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP?  Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?
Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.
That seems quite sensible to me.  A crude measurement on a map gives
each leg as a bit under 20 miles, with the middle one being shortest
(I may have underestimated the length slightly, but not by very
much).  While there are a fair few small hills, few are more than 100m
ascent and none as big as 200m.
... sorry, I sent that before I finished writing it.

I'd expect a reasonably fit group of men in their 30s to be able to do
each day in 7 hours without feeling overly rushed. By mid March,
it'll be light until 6.30pm, even on an overcast day, so time isn't
too tight. There may even be time to stop for lunch in a pub if
you're so inclined.

Richard
Graham Harrison
2012-03-01 13:21:00 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
[...]

--------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

As far as a bus is concerned the X53 runs Exeter to Poole about every 2
hours and dips into all the main resorts (except Exmouth but there's an
alternative there). http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/dorset/
Andy Leighton
2012-03-01 15:03:25 UTC
On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 04:23:04 -0800 (PST),
Post by Richard Smith
Post by Kieran Scott
Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).
Current plans are as follows (all following the South West Coast
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.
Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP?  Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?
Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.
That seems quite sensible to me. A crude measurement on a map gives
each leg as a bit under 20 miles, with the middle one being shortest
(I may have underestimated the length slightly, but not by very
much).
If anything I think you have over-estimated the legs. I would guess
that it is going to be under 50 miles for Exmouth to Weymouth. Maybe
16 miles a day.
--
Andy Leighton => ***@azaal.plus.com
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Ted Ferenc
2012-03-01 15:58:29 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
Hi all,
Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.
Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP? Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?
Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.
If that seems a bit much, any suggestions of how we can break it up
using public transport would be appreciated (we will be getting train
into Exmouth and out of Weymouth, so if we don't manage to walk it we
will need the bus/taxi).
Kind regards,
Kieran
I walked bits of it last year, and bought the SWCP book ISBN 0907055184,
see http://bookbrain.co.uk/pricesearch.aspx?isbn=0907055184, according to
the book

Exmouth to Seaton, 2 days, 12 hours walking, 23.2 miles
Seaton to Seatown 1 day, 6 hours walking, 13.5 miles miles
Seatown to Ferry Bridge 2 days, 10 hours walking 23.3 miles

Hopefully I have transcribed the details correctly, I walked around
Newquay last year, was not rushing and the time I took was slightly less
than the book stated. Unfortunately I am not in my mid 30s, but early 60s!

You don't need the book to do the walk but at £7.49 it is cheap enough
and an interesting read, it gives bus details for each leg, plus the book
is by the SWCP Association so the money goes to a good cause.
Ted Ferenc. (http://walks.ndrw.co.uk http://ndrw.co.uk)
Kieran Scott
2012-03-05 10:00:12 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
[...]
Thank you to all who replied. It sounds like my plans are achievable
so we have left the original itinerary as described. It is good to
have reassurances that it's not overly-ambitious though ;o)

Will report back on how easy and how good a walk it was.

Thanks again!

Kieran
Ted Ferenc
2012-03-05 13:57:34 UTC
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:00:12 -0800, Kieran Scott wrote:

I mostly walk in the Peak District, I found the bits I did very easy, the
only tiring thing I found was being buffeted by the strong winds, these
were sections that were described as severe in the book.
Ted Ferenc. (http://walks.ndrw.co.uk http://ndrw.co.uk)
k***@gmail.com
2012-07-09 09:49:52 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
Hi all,
Just looking for a bit of guidance as to whether we are being overly-
ambitious in planning for an upcoming walking trip (in mid March).
Current plans are as follows (all following the South West Coast
Day 1: Walk from Exmouth to Beer.
Day 2: Walk from Beer to West Bay.
Day 3: Walk from West Bay to Weymouth.
Has anyone walked this stretch of the SWCP? Are those distances do-
able with the short daylight hours in March?
Our group is 3 reasonably fit males, all early 30's.
If that seems a bit much, any suggestions of how we can break it up
using public transport would be appreciated (we will be getting train
into Exmouth and out of Weymouth, so if we don't manage to walk it we
will need the bus/taxi).
Kind regards,
Kieran
Hi all,

Just to report back on the trip...

In case anyone else is thinking of attempting this, I have to say this itinerary was VERY demanding and I wouldn't recommend covering this route in such a short space of time. Stretch it out to at least 5 days.

I am a keen hiker, having completed a 23-day trek in the Himalaya, climbing a 6500m summit and completing other long walks/treks (e.g. Inca Trail), so I thought this walk would be easy. It wasn't.

Although there are no high peaks, the whole route is basically spent going up and down steep inclines. Stupidly I didn't think I'd need my walking poles, and my knees took a hammering with all the downhills.

I had GPS tracking the route, and in the first day we had covered 26 miles in distance, and climbed/descended the equivalent of TWO Snowdons! Set off at 9am, didn't arrive at destination until about 8pm (it was dark). Did burn over 4500 calories though apparently!

Second day was slightly shorter, but similar stats.

Third day was flatter, but the damage to the knees had already been done so it was tough going.

I'd say it's a lovely area and a nice walk to do. Just do it over a longer period and take your walking poles ;o)

Cheers all,

Kie
himself
2012-07-14 17:05:51 UTC
Post by Kieran Scott
Post by Kieran Scott
[...]
I'll check that one out, but make allowances for my mature legs :)

Rog
http://rog.pynguins.com
Phil Bradby
2012-07-20 17:43:49 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
[...]
Yeah... by and large coastal walking is *much* tougher than hill-walking
in the UK, in my experience.

PB
g***@gmail.com
2016-04-15 12:11:30 UTC
I am 65 abd my boys are 16 and 17 we walked exmouth to Weymouth in 3days along coast path nice walk and very easy walk